Thursday, October 19, 2017

Lucky Strikes (Bayard)

When fourteen-year-old Melia’s mother dies, resourceful Melia – a clever mechanic – is determined to run the family auto repair shop and gas station, care for younger siblings Earle and Janey, survive the tough days of the Depression in rural Virginia, and stave off Standard Oil shill Harley Blevins, who has an eye on Melia’s business. To do so, they need an adult parent – so Melia co-opts Hiram Watts, a drunken hobo, to impersonate their father. A wonderful and heartwarming story.

1 comment:

  1. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes dramatic starts. The first page that I read was very interesting to me.I have not finished it but let me tell you it is great.
    Amelia and her younger sister and brother have a rough life with losing their mama.They have to run the family gas station. This book will keep you up reading at night with wondering what's going to happen to Amelia and her siblings.

    ReplyDelete